What are some facts every fan should know about the Star Wars universe?
1. The Star Wars franchise was estimated at US$70 billion in 2020, and it’s currently the fifth-highest-grossing media franchise of all time.
2. The Star Wars films have dominated the box office, grossing more than $10 billion worldwide (unadjusted for inflation) across more than 40 years.
3. The Star Wars franchise was created from the mind of then 33-year-old writer-filmmaker George Lucas in 1976.
4. The first Star Wars almost caused an actual war. To create the barren desert planet of Tatooine, Lucas found the perfect setting in Tunisia. What he didn’t account for was how even a little movie production could lead to socio-political tensions. Tunisia shares a border with Libya, which, at the time, was ruled by dictator Muammar Gaddafi. Reportedly, the Tunisian government received threats from Gaddafi, warning that a conflict was inevitable if they didn’t remove a military vehicle from the Libyan border.
The “military vehicle” in question was actually a Jawa Sandcrawler. Lucas agreed to move the prop because, well, inciting an international incident isn’t a great way to publicize a movie.
5. At present, there are 9 movies in the main, episodic Skywalker saga, as well as 2 standalone installments, or Star Wars Stories, and 1 TV film, making for a total of 12 Star Wars movies. There are also at least 7 Star Wars animated series.
6. Darth Vader is the most popular Star Wars character. The primary antagonist of the series, Darth Vader is seduced to the Dark Side of the Force by Darth Sidious and serves under the Dark Lord of the Sith for decades as they rule the Galactic Empire.
7. In real life, Darth Vader’s suit would set him back about $18.3 million. English sunglass retailer Shade Station once broke down the numbers on what it might cost to build Darth Vader’s suit in real life. The site analyzed the costs of Darth Vader’s outfit, including special features like a voice modifier, breathing apparatus, prosthetic limbs, and augmented reality filter, and, of course, the base suit, and come up with a price tag. Their final tally? $18.3 million.
8. They’re are 8 known color variations of the Light Sabers that are exist in the Star Wars canon.
9. Yoda’s first name was Buffy. It was then changed to “Minch Yoda,” and then shortened to just Yoda.
10. In 2012, the Disney company acquired Lucasfilm for a deal worth over $4.05 billion in cash and stock. Since then, the deal has been regarded as one of the best acquisitions in the history of corporate America