These fascinating facts about the body will blow your mind literally.
1. Your body is made of about 7 octillion atoms (that’s 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atoms).
2. It’s possible to brush your teeth too aggressively. Doing so can wear down enamel and make teeth sensitive to hot and cold foods.
3. If all of the blood vessels in the human body were laid end to end, they would measure more than 60,000 miles in length. Considering that the circumference of the Earth is 24,873.6 miles, according to NASA, that means your blood vessels could circle the globe more than twice.
4. Your skin’s outer layer sheds every 2-4 weeks, amounting to roughly 0.7 kg of dead skin in a year.
5. As you breathe, most of the air is going in and out of one nostril. Every few hours, the workload shifts to the other nostril.
6. Without your pinky finger, you would lose 50% of your hand’s strength.
7. The human nose can detect about 1 trillion smells.
8. Although anyone over 18 years old is considered an adult, scientists argue that our brains keep developing and only reaches maturity in our 30’s.
9. The satisfying sound of cracking your knuckles comes from gas bubbles bursting in your joints.
Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.
10. On a genetic level, all human beings are more than 99 percent identical.
11. 1 in 10,000 people has their internal organs reversed or mirrored” from their normal positions. The condition is called situs inversus.
Also 1 person out of every 200 people has an extra rib.
12. During your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
13. The tooth is the only part of the human body that can’t repair itself.
14. Babies are born with more bones in their body than adults. According to healthline, babies have nearly 100 bones than adults. As they grow, many of these bones will fuse together.
15. If all the DNA in your body were uncoiled, it would stretch out to about 10 billion miles, which from Earth to Pluto and back.
16. The brain weighs about 3 Pounds, which is 2% of a person’s weight, and consumes as much as 25 percent of our body’s Oxygen, burns 20% of our total Calories each day and runs on around 12 watts of power, which is a fifth of the power required by a standard 60 watt light bulb.
17. Taste buds die off and regenerate every couple of weeks (sometimes more frequently, given their vulnerable position in the mouth).