Will Smith is no doubt one of the most respected and most successful figures in Hollywood. While no one can go through life without their fair share of troubles, Smith has shown that through commitment, empathy and perseverance, almost anything can be achieved.
Here are 19 of the most inspiring Will Smith quotes on maximizing your potential.
1. “Greatness is not this wonderful, esoteric, elusive god-like feature that only the special among us will ever taste, it’s something that truly exists in all of us.” – Will Smith
2. “The question isn’t, can you handle the situation? The question is, can you handle your mind? Can you manage the thoughts and emotions that are trying to poison your progress?”
3. “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like. – Will Smith
4. “Money and success don’t change people; they merely amplify what is already there.”– Will Smith
5. “There’s no reason to have a plan B because it distracts from plan A. “ – Will Smith
6. “In my mind, I’ve always been an A-list Hollywood superstar. Y’all just didn’t know yet.” – Will Smith
7. “Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.” – Will Smith
8. “If you don’t fight for what you want, don’t cry for what you lost.” – Will Smith
9. “Stop letting people who do so little for you control so much of your mind, feelings and emotions.” – Will Smith
10. “Don’t chase people. Be yourself, do your own thing and work hard. The right people – the ones who really belong in your life – will come to you. And stay.” – Will Smith
11. “Successful people fail a lot. They fail a whole lot more than they succeed, they extract the lessons from the failure and they use the energy and the wisdom to come around to the phase of success. You got to take a shot and live at the edge of your capabilities.
12. “If you’re not willing to work hard, let someone else do it. I’d rather be with someone who does a horrible job, but gives 110% than with someone who does a good job and gives 60%.”
13. “The separation of talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts for people who are trying to excel, who have dreams, who want to do things. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft.” – Will Smith
14. “I don’t know what my calling is, but I want to be here for a bigger reason. I strive to be like the greatest people who have ever lived.” – Will Smith
15. “If you don’t have a goal or a purpose for your relationship and pretty much anything, if you don’t have a purpose, you can really get lost in the murk of the journey.”
16. “Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too.”
17. “Fear is not real. The only place that fear can exist is in our thoughts of the future. It is a product of our imagination, causing us to fear things that do not at present and may not ever exist. That is near insanity. Do not misunderstand me danger is very real but fear is a choice.”
18. “There was probably a 12 year point where I didn’t take a drink or go out on the weekends. I was so set on my goal that I created a serious circle of protection and elevation because I refused to do anything that wasn’t in my best interest. It’s hugely important that if you have a dream, you have to dedicate your life to it and every hour of every day has to be dedicated to bringing it into fruition.”
19. “I want to do good, I want the world to be better because I was here, I want my life, I want my work, my family, I want it to mean something. It’s like if you are not making someone else’s life better, then you’re wasting your time. Your life will become better by making other lives better.”