Everyone make mistakes at times. As humans, we’re imperfect. As painful and uncomfortable as it may feel, there are things in life that are worth enduring the pain for in order to move forward, and forgiving yourself is one of them. Let these 15 quotes help you move past your past mistakes and forgive yourself.
1. “Never forget that to forgive yourself is to release trapped energy that could be doing good work in the world.” — D. Patrick Miller.
2. “I have learned, that the person I have to ask for forgiveness from the most is: myself. You must love yourself. You have to forgive yourself, everyday, whenever you remember a shortcoming, a flaw, you have to tell yourself “That’s just fine”. You have to forgive yourself so much, until you don’t even see those things anymore. Because that’s what love is like.” — C. JoyBell C.
3. “The burden of regret can weigh us down heavily on our spiritual journey. The best way to release regret is to forgive ourselves.”- James Van Praagh.
4. “Through one’s tears for the past, one’s future becomes blurred.” — Criss Jami
5. “You forgive yourself for every failure because you are trying to do the right thing. God knows that and you know it. Nobody else may know it.”― Maya Angelou
6. “People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on.” — Bill Cosby.
7. “Lack of forgiveness causes almost all of our self-sabotaging behavior.” – Mark Victor Hansen
8. “Bring it up, make amends, forgive yourself. It sounds simple, but don’t think for a second that it is easy. Getting free from the tyranny of past mistakes can be hard work, but definitely worth the effort. And the payoff is health, wholeness and inner peace. In other words, you get your life back.” — Steve Goodier.
9. “It’s toughest to forgive ourselves. So it’s probably best to start with other people. It’s almost like peeling an onion. Layer by layer, forgiving others, you really do get to the point where you can forgive yourself.” —Patty Duke
10. “Forgive yourself first. Release the need to replay a negative situation over and over again in your mind. Don’t become a hostage to your past by always reviewing and reliving your mistakes. Don’t remind yourself of what should have, could have or would have been. Release it and let it go. Move on.” — Les Brown.
11. “We all make mistakes, don’t we? But if you can’t forgive yourself, you’ll always be an exile in your own life.” ― Curtis Sittenfeld
12. “Everyone makes mistakes. The wise are not people who never make mistakes, but those who forgive themselves and learn from their mistakes.” —Ajahn Brahm.
13. “Forgive yourself. The supreme act of forgiveness is when you can forgive yourself for all the wounds you’ve created in your own life. Forgiveness is an act of self-love. When you forgive yourself, self-acceptance begins and self-love grows. — Miguel Ángel Ruiz Macías
14. “Forgiveness is really a gift to yourself – have the compassion to forgive others, and the courage to forgive yourself.”
– Mary Anne Radmacher.
15. “Be kind to yourself, dear – to our innocent follies. Forget any sounds or touch you knew that did not help you dance. You will come to see that all evolves us. –Rumi