Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. –Lao Tzu
How well do you know yourself? What abilities do you possess and who do you think you really are?
Self-awareness is the ability to recognize oneself as an individual separate from the environment and other individuals. It is how we consciously know and understand our own character, feelings, motives, and desires.
Why you should know yourself above all else is perfectly summed up in this two quotes:
As my awareness increases, my control over my own being increases. — William Schultz
Self-awareness gives you the capacity to learn from your mistakes as well as your successes. It enables you to keep growing.” – Lawrence Bossidy
Although we all know ourselves on some level, we should always strive to be clear about who we really are and what we want.
Here are 41 questions to raise your self awareness.
1. How would you define life?
2. What’s your definition of success?
3. What would you do if you knew you would not fail?
4. Which of your skills or talents give you the greatest sense of pride?
5. What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
6. What would your ideal career consist of?
7. What is your greatest accomplishment so far?
8. Which one factor has had the greatest positive influence in your life?
9. Which one factor has had the greatest negative influence in your life?
10. Who and where do you want to be 2-3 years from now?
11. If you had no financial obligations, what job would you most desire?
12. What do you do better than most people you’ve come met or know?
13. If you had children, which of your existing habits would you like to see your children adopt? Which would you not like them to adopt? And why?
14. What can you do for a long period of time without getting bored?
15. What do you know for sure?
16. What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken?
17. How do you think differently now than 6 years ago and why do you think this way now?
18. Which of your senses do you use the most?
19. What are the things you’ve done that you never knew you could do?
20. What activities make you happy?
21. Why do different people from different part of the world live, behave , think and aspire differently?
22. What one activity can drastically improve your life today?
23. How are your beliefs today different from 6 years ago and why?
24. How would you describe yourself?
25. How would others describe you?
26. If you were to die tomorrow, what would be your biggest regret?
27. If you could do anything in the world what would it be?
28. What do you want to know more about?
29. What are your short term goals?
30. What are your long term goals?
31. Who do you admire greatly and why?
32. How do you spend your time?
33. What do you know now that you wish you knew 5 years ago?
34. Do you believe you can create or influence you future?
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.