We all have an ego that’s made up of certain beliefs about our personality, talents, and abilities. Your ego – while a necessary part of your identity – can destroy your relationships, prevent you from recognizing opportunities, and inhibit true success, if left unchecked.
It’s not possible to fully eliminate your ego, nor should you try to. The ego serves important purposes, and when used correctly, can help you build confidence in yourself. The key is keeping your ego in check so it doesn’t become a negative thing. Here are 19 powerful quotes about keeping your ego in check.
1. “The ego is only an illusion, but a very influential one. Letting the ego-illusion become your identity can prevent you from knowing your true self.” —Wayne Dyer
2. “You’re not as good as you think. You don’t have it all figured out. Stay focused. Do better.” — Ryan Holiday
3. “Ego is neither good nor bad, it’s just a result of a lack of self-awareness. It fades away as you become aware of it, since ego and awareness cannot coexist.” —Thibaut Meurisse
4. “All a man has is pride. Sometimes you have it so much it is a sin. We have all done things for pride that we knew were impossible. We didn’t care. But a man must implement his pride with intelligence and care.” — Ernest Hemingway
5. “Always keep your ego in check and not be afraid to listen. Listening is a great art form.”— Clint Eastwood
6. “Your ego screams for people to acknowledge you. But you must do nothing. Take it. Eat it until you’re sick. Endure it. Quietly brush it off and work harder.” —Ryan Holiday
7. “Leave your ego at the door every morning, and just do some truly great work. Few things will make you feel better than a job brilliantly done.” —Robin Sharma
8. “Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you.” —Karl Lagerfeld
9. “Impressing people is utterly different from being truly impressive.” —John Boyd
10. Wash out your ego every once in a while, as cleanliness is next to godliness not just in body but in humility as well.
– Terri Guillemets
11. “More the knowledge, lesser the ego. Lesser the knowledge, more the ego.”—Albert Einstein
12. “If you want to improve, you must be content to be thought foolish and stupid.” —Epictetus
13. “If you get your ego in your way, you will only look to other people and circumstances to blame.” —Jocko Willink
14. “Flattery is all right so long as you don’t inhale.” — Adlai Stevenson
15. “The Ego’s job is to kill everything but itself.” — Byron Katie
16. “Read books that challenge your beliefs and make you feel stupid. You don’t get better by protecting your ego. You get better by exposing it to truth and being vulnerable. This is how you remain fluid and grow.” —Anonymous
17. “Ego is a drug. Use in moderation, if at all.” —Lex Fridman
18. “Most misunderstandings in the world could be avoided if people would simply take the time to ask, “What else could this mean?” —Shannon L. Alder
19. “When one is without ego, one becomes infinitely free of all personal judgements, and perceives life and the world with divine eyes and mind. Nothing is offensive to them and they remain in perfect serenity and peace always.” —Mooji