Even though many people still underestimate the importance of long-term thinking, it can’t be overemphasized. The importance of long-term thinking is nothing new. It’s something we’ve heard at least once.
Truth is: while some events are out of our control, our current life circumstances are largely due to our past decisions. By thinking about the long term, we can thoughtfully and steadily create our future the way we want it.
Most people overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a month. We overestimate what we can do in a year, and underestimate what we can accomplish in a decade. Thinking for the long term can help you let go of things that won’t matter in your life say five or ten years from now and only focus on the things that are truly important in your life.
While it’s important to enjoy the present, it shouldn’t be at the cost of the future. Here are 9 powerful quotes on the benefits of long term thinking.
1. “Successful people are just those with successful habits.” — Bryan Tracy
2. “Don’t give up what you want most, for what you want now.”— Anonymous
3. “Ignoring the facts for short-term gain will almost always bring long-term pain.” —Eldon Henson
4. “People always say be true to yourself. But that’s misleading, because there are two selves. There’s your short term self, and there’s your long term self. And if you’re only true to your short term self, your long term self slowly decays.” —Brandon Stanton
5. “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” —Warren Buffett
6. “Short-term and long-term results typically lead to different result, which are often the opposite.” —Eben Pagan
7. “In the short term, it would make me happy to go play outside. In the long term, it would make me happier to do well at school and become successful. But in the VERY long term, I know which will make better memories.” — Bill Watterson
8. “If you think about the long term then you can really make good life decisions that you won’t regret late.”— Jeff Bezos
9. “Don’t worry about being successful but work toward being significant and the success will naturally follow.” —Oprah Winfrey